Sunday, February 26, 2012

Just for fun

It's been over two months since I last posted, and I realized that part of the reason for that is that I've been waiting for something "important enough" to write about. Along the same lines, I've skipped operating in a couple of contests recently where I'd done so in the past because I didn't have enough time to put in more than a couple of hours in the chair. I decided to fix both of those things recently.

Last weekend was one of the "big" contests, the CW version of the ARRL DX contest. In this contest, DX stations work US & Canadian stations, and vice-versa. (As opposed to contests where anybody works anybody, or are primarily US/Canada only.) This is a 48 hour contest, and while I've never operated for that entire period, I do usually try to spend time operating both during the day and in the evening to take advantage of different types of propagation at the different times of day. Last weekend, I didn't have time to do that, but I did have a few hours on Sunday afternoon. I decided to spend the afternoon working whatever stations I could. When I operate in a contest, I like to have some kind of goal for myself. For this contest, I knew that I wasn't going to beat my own personal best, so I decided that I'd do nothing but work multipliers for my first 100 QSOs.

Generally, this is kind of silly thing to do, especially for person who works in "Search & Pounce" mode, where you're trying to just make contacts. Multipliers have additional value, and there are all kinds of strategies on working multipliers versus just working stations, but most of those apply to bigger stations who know they'll be competitive. In any case, I decided that it would be fun to do, and that's exactly what I did. Once I hit 100 QSOs I started working any other station that I found, but I still managed to work 141 multipliers out of 169 contacts.

My final score was only a bit over 71,000 points, which in this contest, is very low, but I did have a good time doing it, and that's the point. Hopefully, this will get me "back in the saddle" for both contesting and working on my blog.

For anyone interested, here's my claimed score:
         Band    QSOs    Pts  Cty
           7      35     105   22
          14      66     198   58
          21      56     168   49
          28      12      36   12
       Total     169     507  141
       Score : 71,487

2 comments:

  1. I've been surprising inactive lately too, mainly life has been busy. I usta work some QRP contests, but my schedule now has me out of the loop on all the ones I would regularly do. I've thought about taking a 1st Monday off just so I can work a Spartan sprint. They are a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good evening Dave, good to see a post from you and I am in the same boat with lots to do and not much time to do things. As for contests I too like to come up with some goals or at least one goal. In the ARRL DX CW contest my goal was to kick off my ARRL diamond DXCC award and go for as many as I could.

    ReplyDelete