Saturday, May 21, 2011

All kidding aside

I recently re-posted a link to my satirical "My first annual pre-post-Dayton writeup" that I wrote a few years ago. The intent of that was the poke fun at all the write-ups that showed up after the annual Dayton Hamvention, which, to me, seemed to all say the same thing. However, I noticed a couple of interesting things this year. First, unsurprisingly, technology has advanced enough so that there are many folks blogging and even tweeting from on-site while attending. Second, I noticed that several of the on-site bloggers have been posting really good writeups, not just the usual "big, smelly crowds" and "Hara Arena stinks" comments. (Well, apparently Hara Arena is still badly in need of repair).

I suspect that many of my readers already follow these blogs, but David, K2DSL has been posting on-site updates from his first time to Dayton  on his blog, and Steve, K9ZW has been posting a series of "Random Notes" on his blog, With Varying Frequency – Amateur Radio Ponderings. I've found those postings to be informative and can recommend them. There are also a number of other bloggers posting about Hamvention that are syndicated at amateurradio.com (as is this blog).

Most of the tweets on twitter, while occasionally amusing, haven't been particularly informative, but Jeff, KE9V has been doing a great job of tweeting about some of the new gear that's showing up, particularly the new portable Elecraft KX3.

No comments:

Post a Comment