Sunday, July 31, 2011

TI7/K2DBK Post-event wrapup, part 2

This is part 2 of the series, click here to read part 1 

It's been another crazy week at work and at home and I'd hoped to have another entry or two posted by now, but I just haven't had the time. I've finally found a few minutes, so I'd like to focus on things from a DX perspective and talk a bit about QSLing.

As I've previously noted, the weather kept the total number of contacts far lower than I'd hoped, with the total number of contacts ending up at 87 for the week (including one duplicate who I helped out with an antenna check). It looks like I worked 22 different countries though I believe that one of those will be a busted call: I logged a caller with a "DX" prefix which would correspond to the Philippines but at the time I was working into Europe and I suspect that it's actually a "DL" call. In terms of "best DX", I worked into European Russia (UA) and Ukraine (UT) a few times, with the majority of the countries being in central Europe such as Spain, Italy, France, Belgium, Germany, Hungary, and others in that area. I worked relatively few US states, though I don't have good statistics on the because I didn't get the state from all the operators that I worked. Most of the stateside contacts tended to be in the US Southwest although I did work up into Virginia and farther up the US East Coast for a few contacts.

As I mentioned in my last post, I did manage to get a full-blown pileup going a few times, and I can really understand how addicting this can be. I'd love to be able to operate from a "real" DXpedition, or even from a "primarily radio" vacation somewhere, but for now my vacation time is limited so I tend to squeeze in radio when I can. I hope that at some point over the next year or two I can get creative and find time away for a "radio" vacation.

Regarding QSLing, I got a question this week from a station asking me about whether the contacts would be uploaded to Logbook of The World. As regular readers of this blog know, I'm a big fan of LoTW, and would love to make the contacts available there. However, I'm having some issues getting a LoTW certificate issued and it's not clear when (or if) that issue will be resolved. (This only applies to my operating from TI7.) In the meantime, if you need a card, please QSL via my home call the "old fashioned" way with a paper card. Because of the relatively few contacts made, I'm not going to have a bunch of card commercially printed but I will design and print a card specifically for this operation. My QSL information is always kept up to date at my entry on qrz.com.

If you want to check to see if you're in my TI7 log, I've uploaded that to the Clublog website which you can search here. If you think you worked me and you can't find your entry in the online log, please drop me a note and I'll check for you as it's entirely possible that I busted a call or two.

1 comment:

  1. Let me be frank... the LOTW folks have their head up their you-know-what regarding TI calls. While it is true that the CR regulatory body, SUTEL, has yet to issue new rules regarding foreign hams working from here, there is an outstanding policy letter that says Canadian and U.S. hams are free to operate from here. What more the LOTW team wants is beyond me. SUTEL will eventually issue new rules and it is not like Costa Rica is going away as a DX entity or that they are going to ban ham radio or something. LOTW needs to get their act together!

    ReplyDelete